In France, students of all nationalities may apply for government housing assistance. France is the only country in Europe to offer this benefit.

Just like French students, international students are eligible to apply for housing assistance under a system set up to deal with the relatively high cost of housing in France.

Assistance amounts are computed case by case, based on the rental amount and the student's resources. The benefit is not automatic or assured.

If you intend to apply for student housing assistance, make sure meet the following conditions. You must:

  1. Be in possession of your lodgings and can provide your address and the amount of your rent.
  2. Be enrolled in the mandatory student health insurance plan. 
  3. Have a bank account in France, as housing assistance is deposited directly into beneficiaries' bank accounts.

If you are sharing a house or apartment with a group of students, all members of the group may apply for assistance, provided their names appear on the rental contract (lease). Each student must apply individually. Married couples submit just one application. 

Applications for assistance must be completed on the Web site of the family assistance fund (CAF, Caisse d'allocation familiale) within 3 months of taking possession of your lodgings.